Saturday, January 30, 2016

My Winter Garden






Yep, that's all I have.  Some basil and a sad little flat leaf parsley plant.  I like to keep a few fresh herbs, but there's not much growing on the farm yet.  

But, the seed catalogs have been arriving and I'm already beginning to dream of next summer's garden.  Any avid gardener will understand this statement:  This year I will have the most perfect garden ever!

As an admitted seed junky, going to Home Depot can be very dangerous.  The seeds displays have been put out and who can help but look to see what's new and interesting?  Sooooo, I've bought the first packets of seeds.  My fingers are itching to get in the soil and radishes and lettuces are fairly cold hardy.  



I'll plant these with some other cold hardy plants - spinach, kale, chard, and non-bunching onions.   

The first batches of seeds will be planted in our high tunnel...
(old picture, thankfully we don't have nearly this much snow, hallelujah!)



...under a low tunnel.  This gives the newly growing plants a little extra protection from the cold on those nights when the temperatures dip down well below freezing.    


Source: Johnny's Seeds


 Spring is very slowly inching it's way towards us.  Next week begins maple season!  I can't wait to get out walking in the forests again.  It's a lovely, and exhausting, time of year.   








1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about those seed temptations out in the stores right know! I would love to have a few of those high tunnels! Hurry up spring!

    ReplyDelete